The Holocaust Memorial Center of the Jews from Macedonia was inaugurated on March 10, 2011.
The ceremony commenced with the placement of three urns containing the ashes of Macedonian Jews killed in Treblinka in 1943 at the Memorial Center. The urns were carried by soldiers of the Macedonian National Guard after having been carried in a procession of several hundreds members and friends of the Jewish Community through the center of Skopje, starting at the Skopje City Museum.
The Memorial Center, built in the area which was once part of the Jewish neighborhood of Skopje, was inaugurated in the presence of the President of Macedonia, Gjorge Ivanov, Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Moshe Ya’Alon, the President of Albania Bamir Topi and the President of Montenegro Filip Vujanovic.
Rabbi Walter Rotschild recited the Kaddish and El Rahamin, and a declaration signed at the Religious Leadership Forum in memory of the victims of the Holocaust and the Dedication Ceremony of the Holocaust Memorial Center was read.
As its basic goals, the Memorial Center is to be a museum, an educational, research and cultural center, a place to exchange exhibitions, and a regional center for Southeastern Europe. Currently, the exhibition Macedonian Chronicle: The Story of Sephardic Jews in the Balkans is being displayed, telling the story of the Jews from Macedonia and the Balkans from the expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain in 1492 until the present.